L.A. Commons is seeking a Development Board member who will work with the governance team, including fellow board members and the Executive Director, to lead the board in carrying out its role in the cultivation, stewardship and solicitation of donors. The expectation is that he or she will provide guidance and expertise on all current and new fundraising strategies and work with the board to create successful initiatives for resourcing the organization’s programs and infrastructure. This board member will have specific responsibilities for:
• Working with other board and staff development team members as well as the finance committee to plan the fundraising strategies for the organization.
• Communicating monthly with other board members about the organization’s development activities within the context of the Board’s priorities.
• Tracking the progress of development activities through informal evaluation and more formally at the end of each fiscal year.
• Participating in direct fundraising.
Desired Skills and Experience
• An inspirational leader adept at engaging others in the fundraising process.
• Knowledge of the requirements for creating successful fundraising initiatives.
• Enthusiasm for the organization’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it to others.
• Three years of experience serving on the board of other nonprofit organizations.
Board members meet once per month in person for two hours, usually the third Saturday of the month. All members serve on at least one committee, such as the Development Committee. All board members volunteer at least 4 hours each month. Board membership begins with initial one-year term that can be renewed for three years and then two years for a total of six years, all pending approval of the board.
Please send resume and cover letter to Karen Mack at email@example.com
About L.A. Commons
L.A. Commons, a project of Community Partners, works in neighborhoods throughout Los Angeles; facilitating artistic processes, open to all, that result in highly visible public art projects that tell dynamic neighborhood stories. L.A. Commons builds community by validating the importance of local narratives, enhancing the sense of belonging felt by a broad range of stakeholders and encouraging stronger ties between the people and places of Los Angeles.
Developed by artists in collaboration with local youth, our Neighborhood Story Connection projects create a genuine artistic expression that illuminates an important aspect of the community’s culture or history. Trekking LA provides an opportunity for visitors from other parts of Los Angeles, and tourists from outside the region, to discover and experience these arts and cultural projects, as well as the authentic food, music, festivals and rich cultural history of the communities. From sampling barbecue in neighborhoods across Los Angeles, to listening to jazz music and watching dancing from around the world, these tours spur both increased cultural interaction and economic activity. Through these two inter-connected and integrated programs, LA Commons pursues its mission of educating, empowering and enriching neighborhoods, while promoting greater understanding, engagement and connectedness for all residents of, and visitors to, the city of Los Angeles.